Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I Need Lent

      For the past couple of years, I've been keeping this blog. In 2014, I was great at my Lenten Promise to keep this blog going every day. Last year, I wasn't all that great at it. And here we are.
      Lately, I've been clouded with a routine of school, and I got caught up in it, that I forgot God.

Which is, like, weird.

      And recently, I've really felt it. So, Lent came in the exact right time for me. And for the world, obviously, because we're all in this together (insert High School Musical song here).

      A couple of days ago, I was beating myself up over the cloudiness I'd let creep into my life. I was going on about "how could I let this happen? How could I have just let life happen and not pray as much, meditate as much, live as much."

Then I remembered a day in PIP class (a PE class for actors at school. I was a TA. It was a lot at 8 AM). The professor was discussing the traits of a healthy lifestyle. He gave an example of when healthy living stops.

(something like) "You eat a chocolate. Then you feel bad because it's unhealthy. Then you skip a day at the gym. And then you feel bad for not going and start thinking 'I'm worthless,' then that 1 day turns into 2, then 3, and before you know it, your healthy lifestyle stopped." All because you wouldn't let that one day go and be what it is. Instead of changing it, you turned it into a habit of just feeling bad for yourself.

      Which is what I turned my relationship with God into.

However, though unhealthy and less-than-satisfying, those moments in my life have always lead to a deeper, more keen relationship with Him. As if the Lenten season is not already one in which I feel and grow closer to God, I feel this one will be even more so. For He has always brought me up from the deepest valleys, only to bring me to the highest peak I've seen yet.




      So, let's do this Lenten season right and true.

Woo!
Mary Taylor


(Find photo here) Pressing on

No comments:

Post a Comment