Thursday, February 11, 2016

You Get a Path! And YOU Get a Path (etc.)!

      Honestly, I don't see myself as controlling.


I just don't get how people don't see the world like me!




      Kidding.

      But we all know that feeling, right?


      Right now is PERFECT example. This political season where everyone has an opinion, even if their opinion is to stay out of it.

      For me, at least, my angst for people not seeing it my way comes out most when I'm with loved ones (and politics, obviously). I see such a great expanse of potential for them, yet they don't follow my plan. What's that about, am I right!?

      Like that episode of New Girl on Fox, when Schmidt's plan for Nick isn't going according to Schmidt's plan for Nick (Mary, what are you talking about? Watch it here!).

      I find myself thinking (more often than I'd like to admit) "why isn't he seeing that this is clearly the next best step for him?" or "why won't she do that? It's so, so, SO clearly the best option!" *insert any variation of that line of thought here*

      Some cases may even be more extreme. Like cases of addiction or self-loathing. Which is the hardest to witness, by far.

       If you're anything like me, you've mentioned, way more than once, the clear best step(s) for them to take next. However, they just don't seem to do it the way you wanted them to. So, you tell them again. And again. And again. Until the whole thing is just a mess of angry remarks neither party meant at the time, necessarily, but man did that feel good to get off your chest.

      What I've learned, some from experience, and some form countless times I've asked advice on this topic, is that we're all on a journey. Whether the loved one seems miles behind where he or she should or could be, their journey is important for them to take. Through time, they will figure out the path that works best for them.

      It's really hard. But through helping them along when the need or ask for it, and being a loving hand to hold, that's what I've learned is the best way to help. Not paving the path for them. Because, just as you and I will see a movie and feel differently about it, that person will see that path differently than you do a lot of the time.

So, I'm learning to keep love in it, and be that helping, loving hand when that person needs it. And always there, even if they don't need it.


Like an overbearing mother.

KIDDING!

Open and available. Those are the terms we use in acting class. Keeping ourselves open and available for whenever that person might need help or ask for help.


Proverbs 3:5-6
 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."


 
     Here's to being open, available, and loving. Even when you see the clear path and the other is still in the middle of the Deep Forest.  

Woo!
 Mary Taylor  

No comments:

Post a Comment