Friday, February 12, 2016

Real World Chicago

      Last semester, I was blessed enough to be in a awesome showcase with fellow classmates in Chicago. Aptly called Chicago Showcase.

      Pretty much, we perform for talent agencies and theaters in Chicago all in one evening, in which they come to see us perform. From that, the agents and directors etc. decide if there are any of the group they want to take to audition for them.

      So! Knowing that, I personally was expecting nothing. I mean, I don't fit the commercial standards and all that jazz (blah blah blah, whatever. No one cares, yet everyone remembers. Got it).

But man, was I wrong.

      From the showcase, I got one call. From one group.


I didn't know how legit they were, so I emailed some directors I know in Chi-town, including the director of the showcase. And, good news! They were legit. In fact, the directors went on to say they're the best anyone could ask for in The Windy City.

      Consider me floored.

      So, I set up an audition. (and I got to miss, like, 3 days of school. #score)

      My family, being the best out there, decide that this huge, adult, Real World Audition was not to be taken lightly. So, all four of us, crammed in a car, at 4 in the morning, traveled to Chicago. Because my family is the most supportive people I know. But more about that later.

      In the audition, the man who invited me to audition said "this business is crazy. A constant crazy ride with multiple twists and turns."

      The more he spoke, the more it reminded me of the current pastor at Darlington United Methodist Church. In his first sermon for us, he discussed how he knows he's not Bryan and Maureen (the power couple that transferred churches because Methodist Church rules and stuff). They were super loved through the church and we hated seeing them go. So, we were anxious about this new guy. But it was something he said in his first sermon that made me think "aight, aight. He cool."

(something like) "if you really want to experience God, just put your hands up and know that it is pretty much out of your control and into His. Leading with total trust."


I don't know about you guys, but I love planning stuff out. Well, sort of. Not really the short term stuff, but, like, long term. It's a weird thing.

      ANYWAY!

      I've had a plan for my next two years for a while. And it totally got very shocked and, you know, like, not happening at all. In an exciting and scary and exciting way.

      So, I have learned that I have to keep those hands up and enjoy this ride. Because if there is one thing I know about God, his sense of humor is on point. He's constantly laughing at/with us and our "plan" we have for ourselves.

Meanwhile, He, just, like, explodes the plan and extends it to something WAY different, but so worth it.

Let's go!


Woo!
Mary Taylor





No comments:

Post a Comment